MMOL's 2015 Mission Trip with Amor Ministries

This is our 13th year of going down to Rocky Point, thank the Lord! 13 families were living in very rough conditions and now each have a cement foundation, four solid walls, two windows, sturdy roof and a door that locks!

We leave on Friday (this year, it was Friday the 13th, lol) and caravan down to Gila Bend, Why (where?), Lukeville--which is the border
point, and then on to Puerto Penasco (which is Rocky Point). Here are the people of the caravan. The rest of the folks went down on
their own. After setting up tents/checking into motel rooms, we have a communal meal at La Curva restaurant. Then we retire in order to
get up early (for me) the next day. It was definitely Presbyterian-timekeeping. Get up around 7ish (which actually is 7-7:15) communal
breakfast at 7:15-7:30ish, leave for the site around 8ish.

I seem to have no pictures of the worksite on Saturday. I can tell you the foundation was pretty fabulous. The walls were all built and
stacked on the ground so that the foundation would have a chance to dry overnight. The roof sections got built, too. We had a communal
lunch at the site during the work day, and got down sometime between 3 and 4 in the afternoon. After HOT SHOWERS!!!!! and some play
time on the beach, we had excellent spaghetti & garlic bread made by Bob and Barb Schratz. Mmmmmmm

I should dedicate a paragraph to the cookies the ladies of Emmanuel Presbyterian make for our work team. At different parts of the day, 
someone would go get a box of cookies or brownies or bars, and walk around the site with them. I saw grown men turn into little boys as 
they eyed the goodies. It's pretty fun to watch! Sometimes, people's hands are covered in cement or stucco, and we'd just stuff the food 
into their mouths:) gently, of course.


Here's what the beach looks like at dusk. I bet most people can guess who the random hand belongs to.

Anyway, we sit around the campfire until we are too tired to stay up anymore. Some of us stay longer than others. Then it's off to out
tents or motel rooms until morning.

Here's a pic of the worksite on Sunday. What you can't see is the foundation (which is ground level, of course) and the walls and roof sections stacked up ground level. Basically when we get there Sunday morning, there's no house, and when we leave Sunday afternoon, there is a house. How cool is that??

So this is a big day. We arrived at the worksite somewhere between 8 and 9 (oh, by the way, it was in the boonies. It took a good
twenty minutes to get there. This young lady is isolated out there...please remember to pray for Sara and Melanny's safety!!) First thing
we did was put the walls (with one minor-ish problem, but I ain't sharing) (it had nothing to do with the foundation btw :)), true and plumb
everything, nail it down and to their next sections.

Looking through a window

Door section

Starting to look like a house!

Put the roof sections on. Then the 6x8 sections of plywood on top of that. Then some white goo and a mesh white covering, and more
white goo on top of that. The roof was magnificent!!!

Meanwhile, down on terra firma, people are wiring the house, then chevronning the wire to get it good and tight. I think this year we ate
lunch around this time. Sara and Melanny's lot was not too far from the dump, and the flies were legion. Eating lunch was an exersize of
trying to keep the flies off your food before you got it too your mouth. We were VERY careful with the cookies/brownies/bars with regards to the flies, btw.

After the wire is good and tight, we wrap the house in felt paper. We get that good and tight, cut out the windows and door, then tightly
wrap the house in chicken wire. May I say we completed all these tasks like we've done it 13 times:). It was a solid house!!

Ken and Steve. Two guys who know what they are doing who were very nice in putting up with the rest of us:)

Then people start mixing stucco. It is muy importante that you don't nail anything after stucco starts going on, or the stucco will just fall
down and off the walls. Very bad no-no. Many of Sara's relatives jumped in to help with concrete mixing on the first day, then stucco
mixing on the second day, and with the actual application of the stucco on the walls. They were very good.

First coat of stucco on=time to go back to the campsite!!!! HOT SHOWERS!!! Play on the beach. Eat tasty beef stroganoff made by Jereme Bintz. That guy can cook! We had a time of sharing around the campfire that night. It's amazing how big a part of our lives this one weekend is!

Monday morning: last day!! Picture day, too. We put on a last coat of stucco, present gifts to the family. This year we had a Bible storybook for Melanny, a study Bible for Sarah, a really cool plaque made by Steve Odden that had their two names on it, and a quilt from the crafters of Emmanuel Presbyterian Church. We also poured a stoop and engraved their names in it, along with their handprints.



MMOL staff plus an interloper:)

My dad's legacy--each person in this pic is here because of the foundation he gave us.

Laurie Van Dyke with Amor rep Greg

The old casa and the new casa. Time to say goodbye.



* Menu items marked with an asterisk will take you to another site in a new browser window.
© 2016 MMOL - My Missionary On-Line
Go to top